Sign In

Application Guide - General Information

Glossary of Terms (S-W)


Sheeting Out: When rinse water spreads out over a surface in sheets, with no holes, breaks or “pull backs”. Also known as a water break­free or break­free surface.

Solids: The resins, pigments and additives that form the permanent paint film after the volatile (solvents) components have evaporated. The solids content is expressed as a percentage of the total wet mix. Low V.O.C. coatings are often referred to as “High Solids”.

Solvent: The liquid or blend of liquids used to dissolve or disperse a paint; a true solvent is a single liquid that can dissolve the paint.

Spray Cap: Front enclosure of a spray gun equipped with atomizing air holes.


Viscometer: Device for measuring the viscosity of a liquid. Several types are in use; some measure the time for a bubble to rise, or a ball to fall through a column of liquid. Others measure the time required for a given volume of liquid to drain through a standard size hole in the bottom of a cup.

Viscosity: The property of liquid which enables it to resist flow; a thick liquid such as molasses has a high viscosity.


Wash Primer: Thin, corrosion inhibiting paint usually chromate pigmented with a polyvinyl butyrate binder.

Wet Edge: Keeping the paint wet enough when it is applied by brush so it can be brushed back into without showing lines or demarcations from one painted area to the next.

Wet Film Thickness (WFT): The thickness of a paint film measured while it is still wet. Wet film thickness must be measured immediately after application before any solvent evaporation and the resultant film shrinkage occur.